Saturday, October 12, 2013

Cooking ANZAC biscuits

I wanted to share with you today the most consumed biscuit in my house.

THE ANZAC almost an Aussie tradition.



I think it's best to have a definition for my non Australian friends (from wikipedia) :
Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I.
It has been claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation. 
Biscuits issued to soldiers by the Army, referred to as "Anzac tiles" or "Anzac wafers", differ from the popular Anzac biscuit. Anzac tiles and wafers were hard tack, a bread substitute, which had a long shelf life and was very hard.
Today there are several recipes but very few vary from the original. Some "master chefs" like to trick them up, but my family & I love them the original way. 
Another reason I love to bake them is that are not a very "bad for you" biscuit & I know exactly whats going into them. Manufactures make them also for the supermarkets, but nothing beats the home cooked one.
So here is my recipe.
150g plain white flour sifted
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup rolled oats
100gm melted butter
2tbs golden syrup
1tsp baking soda (bicarb)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
Preheat oven 180'C, pop some baking aper on a tray.
Mix flour, sugar & oats together in a large bowl.
Melt butter & golden syrup together.Combine one tablespoon of boiling water with baking sod & add to butter mixture, with vanilla essence.
Mix butter & oat mixture together to form a dough. Drop teaspoonfuls on to baking trays & gently flatten each one. Leaving 3cm aside for spreading of each biscuits.
Bake until golden brown for about 15 minutes. Let biscuits stand on trays for 5 mins before moving to a cooling rack.

Now we like ours a little chewy in this house so I bake for 11 minutes & they are delicious. Fifteen minutes is for a more crunchy texture. 
Mmmmm I love these with a cup of tea.
Enjoy!



No comments: