Sunday, January 26, 2014

Happy Australia Day!!

Today is January 26th which is Australia Day, it's the anniversary of the arrival of the first fleet of 11 convict ships from Great britain, and the raising of the Union Jack at Sydney Cove by it's commander Captain Arthur Phillip in 1788, (information source).

It's an Australian celebration generally associated with a public holiday, spending it with friends & family & relaxing with a BBQ (as it's summer), & having a few celebratory drinks together.



Sometimes I think Australians completely consume the idea of the public holiday more than the meaning, including me at times, but I think thats goes with our relaxed culture. 

Every year when this day comes around I like to reflect on what an amazing country I live in & how lucky I feel in comparison to other nations. Some of the things I see on the news in other countries are just heart breaking.

Here are a couple of fabs reasons I love my country!

We all live freely and how we choose to. Everyone has the opportunity make their own decision, & carve their own path.

I love what a multi cultural society we live in. Don't get me wrong there are always some kind of hiccups between religions & personal beliefs. But Australia is so far free of war breaking due it where innocent people are threatened.

I adore the opportunity Australia gives every single one of us. We can chase our dreams & no one can hold us back.

4. I love how the good ol' Australian BBQ is such an integral party of my life.

It's completely OK to have a cheeky drink here in Oz on a daily basis. No we are not alcoholics haha!

What a wonderful land to bring up my children in.

Happy Australia day my friends.


No comments: