Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Playing with Mod Podge

Ever had one of those things you have always wanted to do, but struggled to find time to just do it? Mine is experimenting with Mod Podge. I see hundreds of things I want to create with this sticky sealing substance it gets me so excited. I finally made time, and decided to jump in & have a go myself.

I am in the midst of creating a new product. Sorry can't spill any beans as I am purely testing. My plan is to use my designs of course, and to see if I could print them out on my paper, and Mod Podge them onto a wooden surface. I had an MDF style blank coaster here for testing, and thought I'd put one of my newest designs (which eventually be a cushion & other things), on it to see what happened. I was a bit nervous with excitement, and in fear hoping it wouldn't be a flop!


Ready to go...brushes a plenty, as I wasn't sure which to use, a coaster,  my design, a mat to work on & the star of the show...."Mod Podge".


I watched a you tube clip so I could be very sure what to do. When I watched it I had that, "is that all" moment. It was so simple actually, I don't know why I thought it would be harder. I coated to coaster, applied my image, pushed out any bubbles with a ruler, & flipped it over to cut any over hang. Done!


I let it dry for 15 mins, just like the you tube experts suggested, painted another coat over the top, making sure all edges were covered sufficiently, and I was done. I let it dry for a couple of hours and I couldn't believe just how hard, and sealed it was. It dried very clearly. My main criticism to myself, would be I will invest in the foam brush they suggested, as my brushed left some brush stroke lines. I am note sure if that's "OK", but I would like to eliminate some.

 All done and very exciting, now I am going to have a go at something else.

Have a beautiful Tuesday.

No comments: