Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Love for an old cult flick

I was packing some DVD's away the other day & was literally bouncing off the walls with excitement, just seeing what I have collected over the years.

I really need to sit down & watch them all again one day & relive so many memories. This will happen when my kids are not interested in my company, because I can't see a self absorbed day like this happening any time soon LOL.

Did you have movies that were almost cult like in your life? That you watched more times than you can remember? I thought I might do a few blasts from the pasts over the next few weeks & see what strikes a chord with some of you.

THE LOST BOYS

This was my first introduction to the world of Vampires....Yes True Blood & Twilight fans it was cool way back in 1987. Instead these guys were traditionally mean & bad Vamipires, ones that weren't broody & sexy (Eric Northman ahhh), vampires that wanted to hurt you. It was also a movie with my teenage crush....hello Corey Haim (yellow jacket). It was also the start of careers for the likes of Kiefer Sutherland, & Jason Patric. It also had a very cool soundtrack which I had on cassette.

A quick synopsis - A family moves to the city. The older brother Michael (Jason Patric), falls in with the wrong crowd. Who were.....wait for it...... actually vampires!! The gang was headed by leader David (Kiefer Sutherland). Michael's younger brother Sam (Corey Haim), finds out about the group of vampires, as all younger sticky nose brothers do & saves the day. Battles commenced only at night as vampires of course, slept through the day. The fight with the vampires commenced with the help of Sam's dog Nanook, his friend Lucas (Corey Feldman), & using the basic essentials of life to be rid of these guys. Nope no machine guns & bombs, but the use of holy water in water pistols, wearing garlic around their neck, & of course stakes.

OK it doesn't have the visual effects of True Blood (my favourite), or Twilight, but it was certainly the beginning of the new cool modern day vampire, in comparison to the stereo typical Dracula. I mean, what could be cooler than the studs worn by punks of the 80's, the mullets, long leather jackets, feathered sides, multiple earrings in one ear and eye-liner?

I absorbed every ounce of this movie growing up & it was more my first introduction to The Doors song "People are Strange", I played it over and over and over again.

It brings back many memories. My biggest was a sleep over with friends from my softball team, we all stayed up & watched it 3 times in a row, & danced in between each viewing to the sound track.

Simple pleasures xxx

No comments: