Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Some indoor gardening

Gardening is a big TO DO for me in 2011.
I am sick and tired of looking at all the television shows, and gazing at glossy magazines with beautiful gardens, and then getting cross at myself for letting mine go.

My backyard is a mess, with all of the amazing rain, it's gone very wild and my plants are drowning in weeds and super long grass. But that's a whole other chapter....

I wanted a quick fix, something that would look great RIGHT NOW, instant gratification was what I needed. I decided to try my hand at some indoor plants. I have never had an indoor plant, I know hard to believe, but never had the inclination. Maybe because I knew my dog may piddle on them. My doggy is in heaven now, (R.I.P Jasper), so I thought I would start.

My first pot here....Plant = Bromeliads (bro-meh-lee-AH-say-eye).
"Bromeliads are members of a plant family known as Bromeliaceae (bro-meh-lee-AH-say-eye). The family contains over 3000 described species in approximately 56 genera. The most well known bromeliad is the pineapple. The family contains a wide range of plants including some very un-pineapple like members such as Spanish Moss (which is neither Spanish nor a moss). Other members resemble aloes or yuccas while still others look like green, leafy grasses.(Bromeliad Society Int.)"

Directions seem simple, to be near sunlight with plenty of air. They are right at the back of my house where my French doors are so that box is ticked. I even bought a 'self watering' pot, so I don't have to think about them too much.

Image - Kylie Loy

Image - Kylie Loy

The second pot here. Plant = Grafted Cactus
Aren't they super cute? So bright, I love them. Even though I took these photos outside, they are for inside, I just couldn't resist the lovely lighting there.

Directions are again very easy to care for, do not over water, water well when soil is dry to touch, best near a window sill with lots of natural light, or as I have read, they are an "excellent subject for window culture"!!

Image - Kylie Loy

This is so exciting, and quite a lot of instant satisfaction. It has definitely brightened up some much much need corners of my house with lots of colour.

If anyone likes the look of the plants, and pots, they were all purchased at Bunnings.

No comments: